The Sphinx Organization is proud to announce SPA 2017!
The Sphinx Performance Academy will be held at two locations, Roosevelt University June 30 - July 14, 2017 (Friday to Friday) and Cleveland Institute of Music July 23 - August 6, 2017 (Sunday to Sunday). The Sphinx Performance Academy is a full-scholarship intensive chamber music and solo performance program designed for aspiring Black and Latino string players, ages 12-17, who demonstrate aptitude toward but lack the resources for and access to quality music education. Students participate in a rigorous private lesson and coachings schedule, in addition to daily monitored practice sessions, masterclasses, and performances.
Application Deadline is Wednesday, April 12, 2017, @ 11:59 pm EST
No late submissions will be accepted past the deadline. "Technical difficulties" will not serve as an exception to the deadline. You are encouraged to begin your applicant material preparation well in advance of the deadline. The SPA Review Committee will review each application and notifications will go out in mid-May. Each accepted participant will be required to fill out additional paperwork, due on Friday, May 19, 2017.
Eligible Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello Participants must be 12-17 years of age. Participants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents in the U.S and be Black or Latino.
Online Application Requirements:
1. Completed Application Form
2. Full Repertoire List
3. Personal Statement - At least 150-200 words expressing why you want to attend the Sphinx Performance Academy.
4. High-Resolution Headshot (Minimum 300 dpi)
5. Scanned copy of birth certificate
6. No registration fee is required. A $50 deposit is required if accepted into the program. This deposit will be returned upon successful completion of the program.
Audition Video Requirement
Two separate videos. iPhone videos are accepted as long as the audio and video are clear.
1. Perform one 3-octave scale on any scale you choose
2. Perform a piece of your choice. An etude, piece, movement of a movement from a concerto will be accepted. The performance should be 2-3min in length.
Each video file should contain only one piece. Please allow sufficient time to prepare and upload videos. Videos uploaded must be smaller than one gigabyte (1G) in size. The following file types are supported:
- mp4 (preferred)
- Quicktime (.mov)
- MPEG (.mpg, .mpeg)
- Windows Media (.wmv)
- Flash Video (.flv, .f4v)
Repertoire List and High Resolution Headshot Requirements
- File Types Supported:
- PDF (preferred)
- Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls)
- Microsoft Office 2007: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx)
- Open Office (.odt, .ott)
- Images (.jpg, .gif)
- Other Formats (.html, .xhtml, .txt, .rtf, .latex)
- Please note that .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as .doc, .ppt or .xls respectively before uploading.
All accepted applicants for the Sphinx Performance Academy will receive a full scholarship to the program. Room and board are included in both locations for the two-week camps, and each student is responsible for transportation to and from the program. Ground transportation is provided to and from the airport for students who are flying. Ground transportation will be covered for students only.
Sphinx is excited to announce this new and exciting component to the SPA program. Upon acceptance into the SPA program, participants will be given excerpts from standard quartet repertoire. Students are expected to learn the repertoire and audition live during orientation day. Upon completion of the auditions, the faculty will then select the chamber ensemble groups. Chamber ensemble placements will be based solely on the participant's audition.
Sample Daily Schedule at the Sphinx Performance Academy (subject to change)
8:00-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-12:00 pm Individual practice and private lessons
12:00-1:00 pm Lunch
1:00-3:00 pm Chamber coachings and practice
3:00-3:15 pm Break
3:30-5:30 pm Chamber coachings and practice
5:30-6:30 pm Dinner
7:00-9:00 pm Performances, master classes, and team building activities