The Sphinx Organization is proud to announce SPA 2018!
The Sphinx Performance Academy will be held at two locations: Curtis Institute of Music June 10 - June 24, 2018 (Sunday to Sunday) and Cleveland Institute of Music July 21 - August 4, 2018 (Saturday to Saturday). The Sphinx Performance Academy is a full-scholarship, intensive chamber music and solo performance program designed for aspiring Black and Latino string players, ages 11-17. Students participate in a rigorous private lesson and coachings schedule, in addition to daily monitored practice sessions, masterclasses, and performances. For information about the program and faculty, please visit:
Application Deadline is Wednesday, April 11, 2018, @ 11:59 pm EST
No late submissions will be accepted past the deadline. "Technical difficulties" will not serve as an exception to the deadline. You are encouraged to begin your application materials well in advance of the deadline. The SPA Review Committee will review each application and admissions notifications be sent via email by mid-May. Each accepted participant will be required to fill out additional on-line forms in order to secure his/her spot. These forms will be due on Friday, May 18, 2018.
Eligible Instruments: Violin, Viola, and Cello. Participants must be 11-17 years of age, U.S. citizens or legal residents in the U.S., and Black or Latino.
Online Application Requirements:
1. Completed Application Form
2. Full Repertoire List
3. Personal Statement - At least 150-200 words expressing why you want to attend the Sphinx Performance Academy
4. High-Resolution Headshot (Minimum 300 dpi)
5. Scanned copy of birth certificate or document indicating US citizenship or legal residence
6. No registration fee is required
Audition Video Requirement
Please prepare two separate videos. iPhone videos are acceptable as long as the audio and video are clear.
1. Perform one 3-octave scale in any key
2. Perform a piece or movement of your choice with or without piano accompaniment. The selection should be at least 2-3min in length. An etude, piece, or movement of a concerto or sonata will be accepted.
Each video file should contain only one piece. Please allow sufficient time to prepare and upload videos. Videos uploaded must be smaller than one gigabyte (1G) in size. The following file types are supported:
- mp4 (preferred)
- Quicktime (.mov)
- MPEG (.mpg, .mpeg)
- Windows Media (.wmv)
- Flash Video (.flv, .f4v)
Repertoire List and High Resolution Headshot Requirements
- File Types Supported:
- PDF (preferred)
- Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls)
- Microsoft Office 2007: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx)
- Open Office (.odt, .ott)
- Images (.jpg, .gif)
- Other Formats (.html, .xhtml, .txt, .rtf, .latex)
- Please note that .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as .doc, .ppt or .xls respectively before uploading.
All accepted applicants for the Sphinx Performance Academy will receive a full scholarship to the program, including room and board. Students are responsible for transportation to and from the program. Ground transportation is provided to and from the airport for students who are flying. Ground transportation will be covered for students only.
Upon acceptance into the SPA program, participants will be given excerpts from standard quartet repertoire. Students are expected to prepare the excerpts and one piece of choice for a live audition during orientation day. Chamber ensemble placements will be based solely on the participant's audition.
Sample Daily Schedule at the Sphinx Performance Academy (subject to change)
8:00-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-12:00 pm Individual practice and private lessons
12:00-1:00 pm Lunch
1:00-2:00 pm Free Time
2:00-4:00 pm Chamber coachings and rehearsals
4:30-5:30 pm Music Theory or composition courses
5:30-6:30 pm Dinner
7:00-9:00 pm Performances, master classes, and team building activities